snapshot

Stephen Weeks sweeks@intertrust.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 00:21:45 -0800 (PST)

> I don't mind trying the snapshot release.. but I'll be disappearing for a
> while because of break soon, it might be better to wait till early January
> if you plan on doing more work on the current code. If not, I don't mind
> getting my hands on it now.

Sure.  It can wait until you get back.  I will probably make a few
changes between now and then.

> BTW I think it be cool to split the backend off from the frontend system and
> market it to other language projects... getting tail recursion right as well
> as interoperating with C almost painlessly is really cool.
>
> A monomorphic 1-st order ML is an ideal target language for many scripting
> and domain specific languages. Being able to spit C code out and run it on
> as many platforms as GCC is a real win too. (mod inline assembly ..)

I agree, but don't have the time.  As to portability, there is still
some work to do (alignment restrictions, size assumptions) to get ready
for other architectures.  I think once we get from 1 -> 2
architectures, then going from 2 -> n should be pretty easy.  But we
haven't had any takers yet on #2.