make test

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:45:51 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry for the long time to reply.  We were very busy with the ICFP programming
contest.

> I tried to recompile mlton.c from source on a 450 MHz PIII,
> 256 MB RAM, swap partition 1G. After over 1 hour there was
> no result, the memory usage was about 256 M RAM and 130 M
> swap. A restriction of the heap size to the main memory with
> the -h option seems not to work.
> Is this unusual behaviour?

No.  It is possible to recompile mlton on a machine with 256M RAM, but to do so
requires adding an extra flag in the bin/mlton script.  The -h option controls
the heap usage of the generated executable -- not the heap usage of the compiler
while it is running.  In order to control the heap usage of a MLton generated
executable (including the compiler itself) you need to use either the fixed-heap
or max-heap runtime system option.  So, I changed line 38 of bin/mlton to the
following:
	exec "$mlton" '@MLton' 'load-world' "$world" max-heap 256m '--' $args
With this, I was able to recreate mlton.c (using "make mlton.c") in under 10
minutes on my 400MhZ P6.

Let us know if this works for you as well.  Good luck.