CM section of mlton-20000906/HTML

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:22:51 -0500

In node6.html, isn't .cm the `common case' now?

In  node7.html, isn't there a way to -keep the .sml file (from the .cm file)?
Similarly, what about a way to -stop at the .sml file.

Shouldn't there  be  a  way  to  specify  (via  run-time  system  flags)  the
multiplier  of  live  that  the  heap  should  try to be.  (Also it should be
documented what the default (now only) value is, and if this is for  a  half-
space or the total amount of memory.)

What  happens  in  the  CM  world  if a file is referred to more than once in
SML/NJ CM?

In my continuing hatred of CM files, I really dislike  the  bottom-up  order.
This  is more the case for MLton (where order matters).  Could we reverse the
order?  I.e., it is last-to-first in a given  .cm  file,  and  deeply  nested
first.

It isn't quite fair to say at the top of node37.html that this is for porting
code from SML/NJ.  It really is for developing MLton code using SML/NJ.

In node38.html, I would stress the fact that export filters  are  ignored  in
MLton.   Isn't  this the really important case where the meaning of a program
could change.  (I.e., both SML/NJ and MLton accept the program, but they  are
different in meaning.)

I'm  very  confused  about  what  cmcat.sml  does  now.   How does it get the
dependency information?  Does it run SML/NJ?  I would think that it must.  In
this  case, it should say so, so that the user knows that it can only be used
on a machine with SML/NJ installed.

By     the     way,      the      reference      in      node39.html      (to
/usr/local/doc/mlton-20000712/cmcat.sml)  is wrong (it is mlton-20000906 now)
and also it should be a link I can click on to go there.