cvs woes

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:20:53 -0500 (EST)

> > Doesn't it disturb you that you can't read the logs without going through all
> > of them (or limiting the date) and getting multiple copies of  each  one  and
> > not  seeing  which  files  got  done  together?   I must be missing something
> > because it really seems like a horrible problem.  What do you guys do?
>
> It doesn't bother me.  Maybe it's because I do 'cvs update' frequently
> enough that I see all the files that come in a single checkin, and I
> just look at the log for one of them.

I'm pretty much the same way.  Although, I try to give commits to src/lib
and to src/mlton different logs; i.e., the modifications to src/lib are
generally orthogonal to the changes in src/mlton that prompted them, so
I'll often look at a few commit logs.

> I only care about the major
> checkins, and I don't think I'm likely to miss anything this way.

Looking to see when doc/CHANGES (and looking at it) generally gets the
major commits.

> Also, if we had commit emails (hint hint), we would all be guaranteed
> to never miss the log for a major checkin.

Hear hear!

> Also, if we had cvsweb (hint hint), it would be easier to see at a
> glance what's happened to a collection of files.

Hear hear!