new release of MLton

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:06:25 -0700

> Hi Stephen, I prefer to build from source, if possible.  I had no problem
> with previous release, just typing "make" in the src/ directory.  With this
> release I get an error.  I think it's picking up my currently installed
> mlton instead of the src/bin/mlton script.  I will try to look at it again
> later today.

The old version of MLton generated C, so for shipping the self compiled version,
we shipped the C code in the tgz.  So, one could rebuild the compiler with just
gcc.  The new version of MLton generates assembly, which we do no ship.  One
needs the current version of MLton in order to build MLton.  So, if you install
the binary rpm or tgz first, you should then be able to make from source.

> If you recommend installation from binary, then would the .tgz binary
> installation allow me to install over my current installation in
> /usr/local/?

I believe that will work.