fully polyvariant self-compile
Tue, 15 May 2001 23:05:34 -0500
I went to my friend Rico's place and used his machines with 4 gig of Ram to
compile a version of MLton without using the -no-polyvariance flag. The
result was that it compiled fine using a fixed heap of 2000m. Then I used
the result to do a second self-compile, again with a fixed heap of 2000m.
The ratio of old time / new time was 1.4. The ratio of new text size (i.e.,
the first number output by the size program) / old text size was also 1.4.
The size blow up is not great, but the speed up seems very fine to me.
All of this is with the 2001-03-21 version of MLton. I'm quite certain that
at some point in the past I tried to do a self compile on Siskind's machine
with 2 gig of RAM and it didn't fit, so some change in the compiler is
clearly at least partly responsible. (Note, that was a long time ago.
Certainly way before the native back end.)