self compile with SSA simplifier

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:17:24 -0800

> Great.  I'm working on merging in the raises : Type.t vector option
> changes to the SSA IL.  You really did a number on remove-unused.fun,
> which merged very nastily with my extensive changes.

:-).  I figured as much, but once I got started on fixing plists, I
just couldn't stop.  The general idea (which you probably got) in
fixing remove-unused was to pass around the info associated with a
label (function, variable, ...) instead of the label itself to avoid
repeated plist lookups.  Also, this let me avoid creating some
unnecessary bogus variables and it let me clear each function after it
was simplified instead of waiting until the very end of the pass to
clear the whole program.

> BTW, does anyone know how to get SML/NJ 110.9.1 to compile on a "current"
> Linux distro (RedHat 7.1, Mandrake 8.1)?  I upgraded some stuff and need
> to rebuild cmcat, but 110.9.1 always dies during an install.  It's from
> Oct. 1998, so maybe there are (g)libc problems?

Hmm.  I have 110.9.1 running on my 7.1 machine.  I remember at some
point seeing compile-time errors while compiling the runtime system
(is this what you meant by died?), which were pretty easily fixed by
commenting out some code (maybe in mach/signal-sysdep.h?).