CVS: scary stuff

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 20:13:56 -0500

I did the
    cvs admin -kb mlton
and  it  seems  ok  except  for  one  thing which is very scary.  In the file
mlton/front-end/ml.lex  the comment right after the $Log line  (about the bug
fix from  Andreas Rossberg's tests) got lost.  This is really very VERY scary
scary to me.  The now missing comment is as follows:

==== the next line is the first missing line ===
 * Revision 1.4  2001/10/05 19:08:35  sweeks
 * Bug fixes for Andreas Rossberg's tests.
 *
 *   - Fixed a bug in polymorphic layered patterns, like
 * 	val 'a a as b = []
 *     These would always fail due to the variable "a" not being handled correctly.
 *   - Fixed the syntax of "val rec" so that a pattern is allowed on the left-hand
 *     side of the =.  Thus, we used to reject, but now accept, the following.
 * 	val rec a as b as c = fn _ => ()
 * 	val rec a : unit -> unit : unit -> unit = fn () => ()
 *     Thanks again to Andreas Rossberg's test files.  This is now tested for in
 *     valrec.sml.
 *   - Fixed dynamic semantics of "val rec" so that if "val rec" is used to
 *     override constructor status, then at run time, the Bind exception is raised
 *     as per rule 126 of the Definition.  So, for example, the following program
 *     type checks and compiles, but raises Bind at run time.
 * 	val rec NONE = fn () => ()
 * 	val _ = NONE ()
 *     Again, this is checked in valrec.sml.
 *   - Added '\r\n' to ml.lex so that Windows style newlines are acceptable in
 *     input files.
 *
=== the last line was the last missing line ===

Stephen, could you re-insert this comment if it should be there.  My guess is
that it is some kind of CVS problem caused by the previous absence of -kb and
the  fact  that these lines were attached to a previous $Log line.  Hence CVS
decided that they were part of the Log stuff.  (Maybe that is  just  hopeless
optimism  since  it  would  mean  that  we are now safe because -kb is now in
force.)

The only other change that looked slightly strange was on
    benchmark/tests/DATA/chess.gml
the Author was changed  to  `kornstae'  instead  of  `sweeks',  but  that  is
probably correct.

Just  for  my  paranoia,  here  are  all  the  files  that checked out at all
differently after I did the admin hack:

basis-library/sml-nj/unsafe-array.sig
basis-library/sml-nj/unsafe-mono-array.sig
basis-library/sml-nj/unsafe-mono-vector.sig
basis-library/sml-nj/unsafe-vector.sig
basis-library/system/file-sys.sml
basis-library/system/io.sml
benchmark/tests/DATA/chess.gml