[MLton-devel] forwarded message from Byron Hale

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 01:32:47 -0700

From: Byron Hale <byron.hale@einfo.com>
To: Stephen Weeks <sweeks@sweeks.com>
Subject: Re: [MLton-user] Installation of MLton under Cygwin
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:43:19 -0700

At 11:33 AM 4/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:

> > I'm trying to take advantage of MLton's move to Cygwin. However, it does
> > not run. I get the following:
> >
> >  > mlton
> > "sread failed (error 0)"
>
>My guess is that the sread is when MLton is trying to load in the
>preprocessed basis library, found in /usr/local/lib/mlton/world.mlton.
>I'm not sure why it would fail, unless the file is corrupted in some
>way.  Is yours 4411553 bytes?
yes
> > mlton is installed in "/cygdrive/d" ie, "d:\" - which is the root of my
> > filesystem.
> > I have changed the "lib" variable in "/cygdrive/d/usr/local/lib/mlton"
> to be:
> > lib='/cygdrive/d/usr/local/lib/mlton'
> >
> > Cygwin is installed in "/cygdrive/d/Cygwin" ie, "d:\Cygwin".>
>
>I am curious to know what error message you saw when you had lib set
>to /usr/local/lib/mlton (the default).  I would have thought that
>you wouldn't need to set lib.

After restoring lib='/cygdrive/d/usr/local/lib/mlton'  in
"/usr/local/bin/mlton' to lib='/usr/local/lib/mlton' in , I obtained the
following (edited)transcript:

Administrator ~
$ mlton
Unable to run MLton.  Check that lib is set properly.
Administrator /cygdrive/d
$ ls usr/local/bin
mllex  mlprof  mlton  mlyacc

Administrator /cygdrive/d
$ mlton
Unable to run MLton.  Check that lib is set properly.

Administrator /cygdrive/d
$ $PATH
bash:
.:/cygdrive/d/cygwin/bin:/cygdrive/d/cygwin/usr/bin:/cygdrive/d/ghc/ghc-5.
02/bin:/cygdrive/d/ghc/GreenCard:/cygdrive/d/emacs-21.1\bin:/cygdrive/d/usr/loca
l/bin:/cygdrive/d/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/d/WINNT:/cygdrive/d/WINNT/System32/Wb
em:.:/cygdrive/d/ocaml/bin: No such file or directory
Administrator /cygdrive/d/usr/local/bin
$ ls
mllex  mlprof  mlton  mlyacc

Administrator /cygdrive/d/usr/local/bin
$ mlton
Unable to run MLton.  Check that lib is set properly.

Administrator /cygdrive/d/usr/local/bin
$ /cygdrive/d/usr/local/bin/mlton
Unable to run MLton.  Check that lib is set properly.

Here is a clue:
If the CWD is "x" and I ask of Cygwin (latest version from ANL),
"ls x," where "x" does not have a proper initial string of "/cygdrive/d,"
then Cygwin replies "No such file or directory exists." I reinstalled
Cygwin shortly before installing MLton because I thought Cygwin's
behavior was strange in regard to "ls." This Cygwin was a fresh
download, too.

After prefixing "lib" in "mlton" with "/cygdrive/d," and prefixing
CLI filestrings with "/cygdrive/d," I get the following:

>As to the sread problem, can you please send the output of the
>following commands (you may need to adjust paths).
>
>% /usr/local/lib/mlton/mlton-compile
>This will tell us if the executable is starting OK.  The expected
>output is "unhandled exception: Fail usage: exportMLton root file".

Yes

>% /usr/local/lib/mlton/mlton-compile @MLton load-world
>/usr/local/lib/mlton/world.mlton --
>This will tell us if the basis library is being loaded OK. The
>expected output is "mlton: incorrect args from shell script".  But, in
>your case, this will probably fail.  If you are able to get an strace,
>that would be helpful.

Administrator /cygdrive/d/usr/local/bin
$ /cygdrive/d/usr/local/lib/mlton/mlton-compile @MLton load-world /cygdrive/d/u
sr/local/lib/mlton/world.mlton --
sread failed (error 0)

Administrator@OLD /cygdrive/d/usr/local/bin
$ strace /cygdrive/d/usr/local/lib/mlton/mlton-compile @MLton load-world /cygdr
ive/d/usr/local/lib/mlton/world.mlton --
strace.exe: error creating process
/cygdrive/d/usr/local/lib/mlton/mlton-compile
, (error 3)

>% /usr/local/lib/mlton/mlton-compile @MLton load-world
>/usr/local/lib/mlton/world.mlton -- /usr/local/lib/mlton gcc END
>Assuming the previous step succeeded, this will tell us if the
>compiler is running correctly.  The expected output is "must supply a
>file".

It gives the same results as the just preceding.

Thanks for your help.

Byron Hale
byron.hale@einfo.com