[MLton-devel] Re: [MLton-user] Installation of MLton under Cygwin

Byron Hale byron.hale@einfo.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:10:37 -0700

At 12:45 PM 4/17/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi Byron.  Did you manage to get MLton working on Cygwin?  We are very
>interested in trying to understand and fix the problem that you saw.
>Thanks for the update.

Hi Stephen, I still don't have it running. There was a garbage collection event
while I made sure I didn't have unpaid income taxes by midnight, April 15th.

Deleting a lot of information from my previous email:

Here is a clue:
If the CWD is "x" and I ask of Cygwin (latest version from ANL),
"ls x," where "x" does not have a proper initial string of "/cygdrive/d,"
then Cygwin replies "No such file or directory exists." I reinstalled
Cygwin shortly before installing MLton because I thought Cygwin's
behavior was strange in regard to "ls." This Cygwin was a fresh
download, too.

After (necessarily) prefixing "lib" in "mlton" with "/cygdrive/d," and
prefixing Cygwin CLI filestrings with "/cygdrive/d," I get the following:

 >As to the sread problem, can you please send the output of the
 >following commands (you may need to adjust paths).

 > /usr/local/lib/mlton/mlton-compile
 >This will tell us if the executable is starting OK.  The expected
 >output is "unhandled exception: Fail usage: exportMLton root file".

Yes, that's what happens.

 >% /usr/local/lib/mlton/mlton-compile @MLton
load-world >/usr/local/lib/mlton/world.mlton --
 >This will tell us if the basis library is being loaded OK. The
 >expected output is "mlton: incorrect args from shell script".  But, in
 >your case, this will probably fail.  If you are able to get an strace,
 >that would be helpful.

Administrator /cygdrive/d/usr/local/bin
$ /cygdrive/d/usr/local/lib/mlton/mlton-compile @MLton load-world /cygdrive/d/u
sr/local/lib/mlton/world.mlton --
sread failed (error 0)

Administrator /cygdrive/d/usr/local/bin
$ strace /cygdrive/d/usr/local/lib/mlton/mlton-compile @MLton load-world /cygdr
ive/d/usr/local/lib/mlton/world.mlton --
strace.exe: error creating process
/cygdrive/d/usr/local/lib/mlton/mlton-compile
, (error 3)

Here we have new information. What does it mean?

Best Regards,

Byron Hale
byron.hale@einfo.com