[MLton-devel] commit emails

Matthew Fluet Matthew Fluet <fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 08:28:57 -0400 (EDT)

> As y'all just saw, there were 3 emails sent out for the commit I just
> did.  As far as I can tell, there was one email sent for each
> directory that was visited.  This was because I used "cvs ci" in my
> root mlton directory instead of specifying a list of files to commit.
> In the future, I'll try to remember to specify the file list so we
> only get one email.

I'm pretty sure there is a way of getting all the commits (from
different directories) in one email.
I've seen it done on other CVS email notifications.
Also, I'd vote for not actually including the diff in the email message,
just the list of affected files.

> BTW, while browsing the CVS docs to see if there was a way to force
> all the commits in one batch (I didn't find one), I saw the "-n"
> option to commit, which disables the running of module programs.  This
> might have saved us last week when I messed up syncmail.

Nope, I tried that last week.  The module programs are yet another set of
programs that are run when you touch the repository.  You still need to go
through commitinfo and friends even if you specify -n.  In fact, the
module programs are less useful, because they always run _after_ the
associated operation has completed, and failure of the module program does
not abort the operation (I think).  The *info programs can prevent an
operation from being performed.