[MLton-devel] mlton on freebsd

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:32:00 -0700

> Hi Stephen... you might remember talking to me a couple of years ago
> when I was doing a stint at Google.

Hi Sam.  Yep, I remember trying to convince you to use MLton and its
fast threads for http proxying.  :-)  I'd be interested to hear if
you're thinking of using it for something now.

> Anyway, I've had a go at porting mlton to freebsd, and I'm pretty close.
> The only thing holding me up at the moment is getting a machine together
> with the needed 2GB of memory.

We've had a couple inquiries lately about FreeBSD.  Here's a couple of
mail threads.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=912684&forum_id=8562
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=843705&forum_id=8562

But as the mail archive shows, the previous patches didn't pass all
the regressions and didn't self compile.  A previous mailer also had a
problem -- his machine has only 700M.  We don't understand the memory
problems.  It should take the same amount of memory to compile on
FreeBSD as on linux -- and we compile all the time on machines with
only 512M.  In fact, the latest experimental release of MLton can self
compile on machines with 256M of ram.

> I'm running short of spare time, and might not be able to pick this up
> soon, so I thought I'd ask if you'd be interested in the patches that I
> do have.  There's not much, but what is there is pretty awful (basically
> I'm trying to get bootstrapped so I can do a better job).

Sure.  Please send us the patches and we'll take a look.  We've
already checked in some of the patches that Michael Neumann sent,
which he said at least allowed the runtime compile.  If you want to
look, see the 20020825 release or the CVS.  Maybe you took a similar
approach?

> Another possibility would be some way to turn off optimization phases or
> something that would lower the memory requirements...

There must be some other problem -- maybe a difference in the behavior
of mmap?