[MLton-devel] [Sml-implementers] SML Basis Library webpages (fwd)

Matthew Fluet Matthew Fluet <fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:44:35 -0400 (EDT)

For good or for ill, there seem to have been quite a number of changes in
the Basis Library since the "Last Modified April 15, 1996" version off of
the SML/NJ web pages.  But, one thing that caught my eye was the
following:

    *  Structures specified as signature instances are matched opaquely,
so all types are abstract unless explicitly specified in the signature. A
note should added to the front matter stating that this is a general
policy for structures matching basis library signatures.

Furthermore, looking at the INTEGER signature, it now reads:
signature  INTEGER
structure Int :> INTEGER
structure FixedInt :> INTEGER  (* OPTIONAL *)
structure LargeInt :> INTEGER
structure Int<N> :> INTEGER  (* OPTIONAL *)
structure Position :> INTEGER
instead of
signature INTEGER
structure Int : INTEGER
structure Int8 : INTEGER
structure FixedInt : INTEGER
structure LargeInt : INTEGER
structure Int{N} : INTEGER
structure Position : INTEGER

That would seem to "solve" the integer problem experienced by Nikos (and
also Dan Wang a while ago).  Similarly, it would easily allow Position.int
to correspond to a 64bit integer (for large files) when the top level
Int.int is still a 32bit integer.

Lots of little changes; it will take a little time to go through
everything.  The only other major change seems to be the inclusion of the
Sockets structures.