Cygwin cross compiler

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 08:08:17 -0500 (EST)

> I think there is something wrong with the file. It's only 4k and
> when unpacking I get complaints with "not a gzip archive".

Sorry, I had the links set up wrong.  It should be set now.
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/People/fluet/MLton

> glibc issues sounds serious. For all that I know I'm using glibc 2.1.
> And I know there are always serious binary compatibility issues between
> different glibc versions. But we'll see if it works on my system :)

I don't know what issues Henry saw.  I do self-compiles on a Linux cluster
with 2.4 kernel/2.2.2 glibc, then pull the resulting executables back to
my office 2.2 kernel/2.1.3 glibc box.  I've never had any problems running
anything on either system (barring the "Out of memory" errors that had to
do with the new compiler looking for the 2.4 kernel specific sysconfig
structure elements).

> But by the way - is it possible
> to create binaries with MLton which does not rely on glibc?
> (using the native x86 backend?) Because that would give
> MLton binaries a good advantage over all other Linux binaries :)
> But I guess the runtime uses it for all the system C-calls.
> And probably it will give many other problems trying to avoid glibc.

Yeah, much of the runtime (and to some extent, the basis library) is
implemented via C calls.  For the most part, it uses the Posix interface,
which I would guess is a little more stable.