I have to add my changes :)

Anoq of the Sun anoq@HardcoreProcessing.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 23:39:23 +0100

Hello!

I've downloaded the native binary now - it unpacks and works
immediately after. I've only tested on HelloWorld though - because
there's not much of my software that will compile with this as
it is. I need some of my changes to be in there :)

In particular BinIO and the ability to link with SDL - which I did
earlier by just adding an SDL-include to the MLton runtime file with the
main function for the compiled apps (or a header used by the file with
the
main function). The SDL-thing is a hack - I know, but I'm not sure if
there are better ways.

As for cross-compiling - I'm still not sure if this cygwin-thing will
work
for me. I've set up all my SDL-stuff with Mingw32 - and at least it
would be
some work to set it up for a new compiler. Even if cygwin would work,
I don't think it will allow me (or anyone else) to develop commercial
software without paying the commercial licence for avoiding the GPL
licence
conditions:
http://www.redhat.com/software/tools/cygwin/buycontract.html

At any rate - it will take a some time for me to set up the new
MLton and test it (especially the cross-compiling). I can probably
re-port the BinIO stuff quite quickly and add the SDL support.
Then I can test some big Linux apps. However I have a project
assignment at the university (deadline monday 25th) - so I think
I'd better wait with the Win32 stuff until that's over.

Cheers
--
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com