[MLton-devel] Re: HiPE/x86 Erlang compiler paper

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Wed, 8 May 2002 12:28:28 -0400 (EDT)

Kostis,

> Interesting mail and thanks for the information.  We'll try to
> digest it and we'll possibly reword the "It is not clear to us
> what the advantage of this unusual arrangement is." sentence.

No problem.  Bottom line for us really was code size; more traditional
arrangements led to larger executables that were not any faster, so we saw
no need to stick with them.

> Btw, is there any paper, technical report, draft, whatever...
> that describes the `internals' of the MLton compiler?

Not at the moment.  There are a few comments (but nothing really on the
backends) in the mlton/doc/hacker-guide directory (available in the
sources and through the public CVS at
http://cvs.mlton.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mlton/#dirlist).  We're also
starting to think about an overview paper on MLton, but nothing is written
just yet.

I applaud both your efforts to break this trend with "obscure compiler
internals" and your ability to glean as much useful information as you did
about other systems from source code browsing.

-Matthew