[MLton-devel] new GC object layout

Jagannathan, Suresh Suresh.Jagannathan@storagenetworks.com
Wed, 8 May 2002 15:12:54 -0400

The outline looks good to me.  I did have some questions though:

1. Array objects have both a header word and a counter word.  A header
word also includes counter bits; in the description, it seems both are =
used
in the mark phase.  What's the reason for both?  Will only 11 bits in =
the counter word for the array be valid?

2. What is the rationale for the header word to follow the length?  =
Where
in the array do array references actually point?

3. Do you store the number of non-pointers in the constant array table =
entry?
I wasn't sure from your description where this info. was kept.

4. Apropos (3), what does each entry in the constant array define?

5. I had a similar question to Matthew, namely does this new scheme =
allow
mixing pointers and non-pointers for normal objects, and does such =
functionality
buy anything.

-- sj