[MLton-devel] SML Basis Library

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:48:56 -0500 (EST)

Somewhat frustrated with the lack of response from the SML-implementers
community on the "new" Basis specification, and unsure myself whether or
not constructive criticism is a worthwhile endeavor, I've drafted the
following.  Comments?

John,

Back in July, you posted the latest version of the SML Basis Library
specification, stated that you felt the specification to be mostly stable,
and asked that comments and discussions be directed at the
sml-implementers list.  Since that time, there have been a few comments
and requests for clarification, but little discussion.

For me, and I suspect for others as well, it is unclear the degree to
which the specification is up for discussion.  The fact that this was the
first publicized revision of the specification since 1997 may have
contributed to a false sense of fluidity.  While Cambridge University
Press is reporting an October 2003 publication date, which seems quite a
ways off, I'm certainly no expert on publishing.  It may also be the case
that some members of the SML-implementers community feel that the design
decisions were well hashed-out early in the drafting process and will be
explicated in the final form of the specification.

Still, if the specification remains in a flexible state, then it would
seem that input from the SML community would be valuable.  My
suspicion/hope is that other members of the SML-implementers community are
waiting to follow your lead.  Certainly, no one else has the ability to
accept or reject changes to the specification.  It would be a shame to
miss an opportunity to improve this component of the Standard ML language.

Sincerely,
-Matthew Fluet