[MLton-devel] SML Basis Library

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:01:33 -0600

It  looks  good  to  me.  There are several things, mainly pet peeves, that I
would love to get fixed.

First and foremost, although just because it really bugs me, are things  like
TextIO.inputLine  returning  an  empty  string  to indicate EOF instead of it
returning a string option.  I see that the new basis library at least changed
Posix.FileSys.readdir  and OS.FileSys.readDir (what insane capitalization) to
return string option's.

Next is the absence of certain needed methods for  creating  vectors.   Right
now  there  is Vector.tabulate, but you want something similar that threads a
state along and, just for completeness, returns the final  state  along  with
the  vector.  Without these primitives, you have to use mutation.  Also there
should be flavors to construct the result right-to-left.

Next is to get rid of the currying.  I suspect that this is hopeless, but  in
addition  to  my general dislike of currying by default, it isn't very useful
given the value restriction.

On a larger scale is the problem of the file I/O being  based  on  functional
streams.   If  it  was  efficient  enough  I probably wouldn't mind, so it is
definitely defendable.