[MLton-devel] Re: SML Basis Library (fwd)

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:54:32 -0500 (EST)

I got the following back from John.  I did add a final line to my e-mail
asking for an update to the sml-implementers list, so maybe one is
forthcoming.  (I got a weird bounce earlier today on a message to
mlton@mlton.org.  I know SourceForge mail is going down today, but it
wasn't supposed to be until 4PM Pacific.)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:35:31 -0600
From: John Reppy <jhr@cs.uchicago.edu>
To: Matthew Fluet <fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Cc: erg@research.att.com, jhr@cs.uchicago.edu
Subject: Re: SML Basis Library

I would like to wrap up the specification into a state that it can
be published.  To this end, we are looking mostly for minor corrections
in the specification and obvious omissions.  Changes that would break
current practice need a strong argument of support

BTW, your comments have been quite helpful.  Getting settled in my new
job has been very time consuming, so I haven't had time to fully address
them, but thanks for the help.

In the long run, the specification is not meant to be a "static" document
(unlike the Definition of SML).  We expect and hope that it will evolve
and grow.  To that end, there should be a steering committee with
representatives from the major players to maintain the specification.
Changes to specification come in several forms:

  1) correction to broken features.

  2) new APIs

  3) additional operations to existing APIs

  4) incompatible changes to existing APIs

  5) deletion of depreciated features/APIs.

For the sake of stability and backward compatibility, 1, 2, and 3 should
be the most common form of change (and I hope that 1 never happens).
Any new feature or API should be justified by some experience.

	- John