[MLton-devel] MLton meeting connecting to Reppy

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:05:10 -0600

I sent Reppy the following mail:

>From henry@sourcelight.com  Thu Nov 14 16:00:42 2002
>Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:00:42 -0600
>From: Henry Cejtin <henry@sourcelight.com>
>To: henry@sourcelight.com, jhr@cs.uchicago.edu
>Subject: basis library
>
>I  got  a  copy of your mail to Matthew on the basis library.  It is great to
>see things progressing.  I know that it would be incompatible, but  now  that
>the  return  types of Posix.FileSys.readdir and OS.FileSyss.readDir have been
>`fixed' to be string option's instead of using empty strings to indicate  the
>end,  is  there any chance for TextIO.inputLine to get the same treatment.  I
>never understood the argument for using empty lines as magic  values.   (Also
>the lack of capitalization on readdir in Posix.FileSys looks wrong to me.)
>
>On an unrelated note, I have been in Evanston Illinois for the last few years
>at a start up.  I would love it if you could  tell  me  how  to  get  on  any
>mailing  lists for talks and such going on at U of C CS.  Is there any things
>like NJ PLS?  I would think that with both you and MacQueen there that  there
>must  be  something.   Northwestern  CS  doesn't  really  have  much to offer
>unfortunately.
>
>Another unrelated note: there is a plan to have  a  MLton  meeting  here  the
>weekend  of  February  21st.   If  you are interested, perhaps the Moby/MLton
>people could get together.

and got this response:

>From jhr@cs.uchicago.edu  Thu Nov 14 16:32:50 2002
>To: Henry Cejtin <henry@sourcelight.com>
>Cc: jhr@cs.uchicago.edu
>Subject: Re: basis library
>Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:32:44 -0600
>From: John Reppy <jhr@cs.uchicago.edu>
>
>In message ???, Henry Cejtin writes:
>>I  got  a  copy of your mail to Matthew on the basis library.  It is great to
>>see things progressing.  I know that it would be incompatible, but  now  that
>>the  return  types of Posix.FileSys.readdir and OS.FileSyss.readDir have been
>>`fixed' to be string option's instead of using empty strings to indicate  the
>>end,  is  there any chance for TextIO.inputLine to get the same treatment.  I
>>never understood the argument for using empty lines as magic  values.   (Also
>>the lack of capitalization on readdir in Posix.FileSys looks wrong to me.)
>
>I agree about inputLine, but it is probably too late to fix.  The argument
>about Posix.FileSys.readdir is that the Posix spec says "readdir."
>
>>On an unrelated note, I have been in Evanston Illinois for the last few years
>>at a start up.  I would love it if you could  tell  me  how  to  get  on  any
>>mailing  lists for talks and such going on at U of C CS.  Is there any things
>>like NJ PLS?  I would think that with both you and MacQueen there that  there
>>must  be  something.   Northwestern  CS  doesn't  really  have  much to offer
>>unfortunately.
>
>You know, I thought that I saww you walking down the street in the loop a
>few weeks ago.  Now I understand.
>
>The folks at DePaul run a PL seminar on Fridays (Alan Jeffreys is the
>contact person).  I haven't managed to make it up there yet, so maybe trying
>to organize a Chicago-land PLS that met once every 10 weeks or so would
>be a good idea.
>
>>Another unrelated note: there is a plan to have  a  MLton  meeting  here  the
>>weekend  of  February  21st.   If  you are interested, perhaps the Moby/MLton
>>people could get together.
>
>I would be quite interested.  I'm not teaching that quarter, so I'll have
>lots of free time.

It  looks  like  some  kind  of get together would be a good idea, although I
don't know how to fit it into our next MLton meeting.