[MLton-devel] datatype variant tag optimization

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 18:07:19 -0800

> You'll need to be careful with assigning type indices.  You don't want to
> end up with a type index for each variant in the program.

Why not?  We have *plenty* to spare.  For example, in a self-compile I
just did, there were 2,847 value carrying variants.

> For example, every 'a list where 'a ends up being represented by
> pointer should be able to share the same type index.

I agree this would be fine to do, but in light of the above, I don't
think it's necessary.  We can keep it up our sleeve for later if need
be.