[MLton-devel] mlprof

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:58:19 -0800

> I was thinking of adding a -code {false|true} option to mlprof that would
> affect -d 1 (and maybe -d 2) detail levels.  The idea is to scan for a
> .ssa file (similar to the way we scan for .cfg.dot file) and extract the
> corresponding SSA block to be displayed along with the other output.  For
> example:
> Too unreadable?  Ideas for extracting the SSA block?  Is the indenting
> sufficient for determining the beginning/end of an SSA block?

I think so.  If not, we should make it so.

Having mlprof do it seems inflexible to me.  I think it would be nice
to have a separate program for manipulating SSA files.  We could have
it do at least the following:

* generate the dot graph for a function
* extract the ssa for a function
* extract the ssa for a block

I think it would be worth making whatever changes are necessary to the
SSA output format to make it more machine readable, if it isn't enough
already.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could feed SSA files to MLton!  This would
be useful for playing around with the program and trying out
optimizations.  I could even imagine others using it as a target
language.