[MLton-devel] Basis2002 IO

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:03:42 -0500 (EST)

The latest incarnation of the basis-2002 branch's IO yields the following:
MLton0 -- mlton.cvs.basis-1997
MLton1 -- mlton.cvs.basis-2002
compile time
benchmark     MLton0 MLton1
wc-input1       1.17   1.53
wc-scanStream   1.18   1.69
run time
benchmark     MLton0 MLton1
wc-input1      37.52  53.85
wc-scanStream  49.15 462.88
run time ratio
benchmark     MLton1
wc-input1       1.44
wc-scanStream   9.42
size
benchmark     MLton0 MLton1
wc-input1     52,696 59,832
wc-scanStream 53,304 62,624

The last time I posted numbers, wc-input1's ratio was 2.50 and
wc-scanStream's ratio was 32.98.  One improvement for both versions is
{read,write}{Arr,Vec} functions for char's in the Posix io, used to build
the primitive Text io readers and writers.  (This improves over copying
in/out of word8 arrays/vectors).  In wc-input1, I also changed the order
of some tests to make the common case fast.  In wc-scanStream, I
"unrolled" the stream input1 implementation (which previously was calling
inputN with a value of 1).