[MLton-devel] cvs commit: marge of basis-2002 branch

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 14:24:07 -0500 (EST)

> >   Modified:
> >                benchmark/tests md5.sml tensor.sml
>
> I'm not sure I like the changes in the benchmarks.  Now, they only
> compile under MLton and not under any of the other compilers.  It
> would be best, if possible, to have the benchmarks work under both
> basis 1997 and 2002.

It's only md5 and tensor.

md5 can easily be made to work under both basis1997 and basis2002.  It
just needs Word8Vector.extract, which could be written in term of
Word8Vector.tabulate and Word8Vector.sub
(at a small cost, because it will by necessity use safe subs).

tensor uses the MONO_VECTOR signature which is very different in the two
basis libraries.

> >                doc      changelog
>
> Could you list the functions that were added in the changelog
> (e.g. IntInf.{orb, xorb, ...}, ...) in some reasonably compact way?
> I'd like to put that in the bullet list of changes at the next
> release.

I think that IntInf and OS.IO poll related functions were the only things
added that were listed as missing in the user's guide.  Then there are all
the Slice structure functions, changed types in the Array/Vector
structures.  (BTW, even the things that are listed as missing have an
implementation that raise Fail "<not implemented: ???>".)  The
{Bin,Text}IO related functions that are listed as missing are implemented
under the "new" IO.

> Finally, would you object to having the -basis flag be
>
> 	-basis {2002|2002-strict|1997|none}
>
> I find the "basis-" prefix redundant.

I thought about that as well.  I just didn't like naming the
/basis-library/libs/* directories just numbers.  I'd suggest moving
/basis-library/libs/none to /basis-library/libs/basis-none
and just always prefix "basis-" to the names in Control.basisLibs.