[MLton-devel] MLton meeting in Chicago?

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 00:48:53 -0700

> Welcome  back Stephen.  re the two basis versions, I completely agree that it
> is VERY important to be able to compile code with respect to either  the  old
> or new basis library stuff, but do you think that this should be command line
> flag?  I was thinking that it really belongs in the .cm file, or  perhaps  at
> least  possibly have it there.  Doesn't the new CM have support for that?  My
> notion, and I think that we talked of this before, is to have some way in the
> .cm  file  to  specify which (or neither) basis library you want, and also if
> you want MLton's library.

I refer to the discussion that we had about this in July, beginning with

	http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=1864430

and continuing with

	http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=1868173

Where you said that

	I agree that not tieing in too closely to CM files would be nice.

I still think that command line is the way to go, and for the same
reasons as before.

The only question in my mind now is how hard it will be to build
Basis1997 and if Matthew is willing to do it :-).

> While you were gone Suresh asked me when I was ready to have a MLton  meeting
> here  in Chicago.  Needless to say, pretty much any time is fine by me, but I
> think we should definitely do it.  I'm  going  to  be  out  of  town  between
> November  9th  and  something like November 15th, but any other time is fine.
> Alternatively, any other place would be ok to.

A Chicago MLton meeting sounds good to me.  November 15th is a bit
soon and during a busy time.  How about sometime early next year,
after all the holidays?  I'd like to arrange it around Matthew's
schedule as well.  Matthew, can you make it over to Chicago sometime
next year?

> I've been looking at the real toString fromString and formatting stuff.   The
> version  of  SML/NJ that I have (the ancient 110.9.1) doesn't have any of the
> IEEEReal.decimal_approx stuff, just raising  the  Fail  exception  saying  it
> isn't  implemented.   None  of  it looks to difficult to do, but the straight
> forward way would be slow as a dog so I'm looking what can be done.

Great!  But don't kill yourself over speed -- it would be very nice to
have anything there that meets the spec.