[MLton-devel] MLton meeting in Chicago?

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:14:17 -0500

Welcome  back Stephen.  re the two basis versions, I completely agree that it
is VERY important to be able to compile code with respect to either  the  old
or new basis library stuff, but do you think that this should be command line
flag?  I was thinking that it really belongs in the .cm file, or  perhaps  at
least  possibly have it there.  Doesn't the new CM have support for that?  My
notion, and I think that we talked of this before, is to have some way in the
.cm  file  to  specify which (or neither) basis library you want, and also if
you want MLton's library.

While you were gone Suresh asked me when I was ready to have a MLton  meeting
here  in Chicago.  Needless to say, pretty much any time is fine by me, but I
think we should definitely do it.  I'm  going  to  be  out  of  town  between
November  9th  and  something like November 15th, but any other time is fine.
Alternatively, any other place would be ok to.

I've been looking at the real toString fromString and formatting stuff.   The
version  of  SML/NJ that I have (the ancient 110.9.1) doesn't have any of the
IEEEReal.decimal_approx stuff, just raising  the  Fail  exception  saying  it
isn't  implemented.   None  of  it looks to difficult to do, but the straight
forward way would be slow as a dog so I'm looking what can be done.