[MLton-devel] FreeBSD MLton package

jlouis@diku.dk jlouis@diku.dk
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 00:10:59 +0200

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 12:26:06PM -0700, Stephen Weeks wrote:

> As far as I can tell from the porters handbook and from bsd.port.mk,
> there is no plist target that will automatically generate the plist.
> If pkg-plist is not around when running 'make package', then the
> makefile complains.

Oh, its the OpenBSD heritage that bites me. OpenBSD has a plist target
which FreeBSD does not. They use a slightly different ports structure
which makes it possible. Normally you dont include the pkg-plist target with
the port, but the idea sounds neat to me, so I think it should be
submitted. If they dont like it they will probably bash us and tell us
why.

The build-package target is normally not included either. But the idea
is nice again, so include it and see what happens.

> If these look OK to you and you would like to submit/maintain the
> FreeBSD port, please do so and let us know.  Else, I'll start the
> submission process myself.

Start the submission process yourself. I think its easier that way as an
update is no more than some editing of pkg-plist and Makefile. I can
submit patches to your tree if you need to delegate the task to somebody
else.

--
Jesper
  Premature Optimization is the root of all evil - D. E. Knuth