[MLton-devel] MLton Install and Win32 port...

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:56:09 -0700

Hi Anoq.  I'm glad to hear your finally (sort of) settled.

> But now - I would like to give the Win32 port a try again.
> And I have seen the new release, so maybe it's a good time
> to do it now.

Now is a good time.

> For now, I have tryed to install the binary and compile MLton
> from source on my new machine - without any problems.
> However from the machine where I have all my CVS-repository
> and the Win32 cross-compilation stuff and the old Win32 ports
> of MLton - I can't seem to compile MLton.

Hmmm.  So this is a problem with an old MLton (you didn't say which
version -- one you made or a release) compiling the new one, right?
About all I can tell from the log that you sent is that the x86
codegen was almost done when the failure happened.  That doesn't say
much.  Maybe you could run -v2 and with strace to see what system call
failed.

> I am doing this as root, so it shouldn't be a permission problem.
> Also, the new machine (where it works - without even making a swap
> partition) has 512MB RAM and the one where it fails has
> the same. It even fails whether or not I activate swap or
> not on this machine.

Even an old MLton should be fine with 512M.

> However I have a suspiscion that the memory on this machine
> may be bad or something. I have seen MLton applications crash
> several times on this machine due to memory problems - even
> when it seemed there was plenty of memory left (but of course
> it might just have allocated a lot of memory in one big chunk...).

Especially if this is a problem with 20020923, please try to reproduce
it.  MLton apps should never crash (segfault), they should at least
report "Out of memory".

> Speaking of memory - the new release certainly seems to
> be using less memory during compilation. I guess the new
> GC makes at least some difference :)

Yeah.  We can do self compiles on 256M machines now (too late for you,
since you've got 512M now).