[MLton-devel] mGTK for MLton

Ken Friis Larsen kfl@it.edu
07 Apr 2003 15:48:18 +0100

Hi Stephen

Stephen Weeks <sweeks@sweeks.com> writes:
> If you don't mind to track the CVS, let's try that.

I was just about to say OK.  But I can't build CVS at the moment.  Can
I build MLton with MLton or do I need to install SML/NJ or something?

When I try to make from the topdir I get the following errors:

---
make compiler dirs
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kfl/programming/ml/mlton'
make -C /home/kfl/programming/ml/mlton/mlton
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/kfl/programming/ml/mlton/mlton'
Compiling mlton (takes a while)
mlton @MLton  gc-summary -- -host self -v -o mlton-compile mlton-stubs-1997.cm
MLton 20021122 (built Sat Nov 23 01:28:31 2002 on debian30)
MLton starting
   Compile SML starting
      pre codegen starting
ssa/simplify.fun:13.23-13.32 Error: unbound functor CommonArg
ssa/simplify.fun:73.19-73.38 Error: unbound variable CommonArg.eliminate
      pre codegen raised in 6.36 + 4.56 (42% GC)
   Compile SML raised in 6.36 + 4.56 (42% GC)
MLton raised in 6.47 + 4.56 (41% GC)
compilation aborted: elaborate reported errors
---

And some GC stats

It seems that mlton/mlton-stubs-1997.cm isn't up to date.  I tried to
to patch mlton/mlton-stubs-1997.cm by adding

        ssa/common-arg.sig

to line 259.  And

        ssa/common-arg.fun

to line 315.   Which seems to work (it is still building).

> Agreed that this is fragile.  I wanted to get something implemented as
> quickly as possible that would be sufficient for your needs.

Ah, OK.

> With the exception of Weak.set (do you need that?),

No, I don't need it.  But I'd like if Moscow ML and MLton had similar
extensions to make it easier to build cross compiler libraries.  But
that is not important now.  I'll compose a more structured mail later.

> everything there looks easily implementable in terms of MLton.Weak.

Yes.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

--Ken