[MLton-devel] mGTK for MLton

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:36:20 -0400 (EDT)

> Stephen Weeks <sweeks@sweeks.com> writes:
> > If you don't mind to track the CVS, let's try that.
>
> I was just about to say OK.  But I can't build CVS at the moment.  Can
> I build MLton with MLton or do I need to install SML/NJ or something?
>
> When I try to make from the topdir I get the following errors:

Sorry, that's my fault.  We try to maintain the invariant that you can
build MLton with MLton (and mllex and mlyacc) without any external tools.
We do use (simplified) SML/NJ .cm files for dependencies and I don't
always remember to rebuild the mlton.cm and mlton-stubs.cm files.  I'll
checkin their updated versions shortly.  But, you've added the essential
fix.

(If you have a version of SML/NJ 110 around, you can build the cmcat tool
which is used to rebuild the mlton.cm and mlton-stubs.cm files.  But,
don't feel as though you need to.)

One other note; You might want to delete mlton/mlton-compile and remake
once you are done with the current make.  When build/bin/mlton doesn't
exist, the Makefile chooses to build against mlton-stubs.cm which emulates
the MLton structure via the basis (in case the mlton in your path is so
far out of date that it doesn't have the same MLton structure); this means
that the resulting compiler isn't quite as fast as it could be.  When you
rebuild, you will build against mlton.cm which assumes an up-to-date MLton
structure and will be a speedier compiler.

As for compile times, it's about 12 mins for mlton-compile on a lightly
loaded 1.13GHz PIII with 1Gig RAM and about 22 mins for the mlton-compile
built with a mlton based on mlton-stubs.  The other tools are all under a
minute for compile times.