[MLton-devel] NetBSD porting and problems

Jesper Louis Andersen jlouis@mongers.org
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 22:27:27 +0100

I am building a port of MLton for NetBSD this time (now I got stirred
blood from the FreeBSD-5.1 patches). Right now I have added NetBSD to
Control and have it configured so the compiler part knows about it. Not
much changed there. Not much in the runtime either, since most of the
code looks like the FreeBSD code or goes into par with UNIX.

For now, I have chosen not to address profiling yet, since I would have
the rest of the backend working before attempting to do that.

Unfortunately it goes like this:

gmake dirs compiler world
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd'
mkdir -p /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd/build/bin /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd/build/lib/self/include
gmake -C /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd/mlton
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd/mlton'
Compiling mlton (takes a while)
mlton @MLton  gc-summary -- -host self -verbose 1 -output mlton-compile mlton.cm
MLton MLTONVERSION (built Sat Aug  2 23:13:38 2003 on sarah)
MLton starting
   Compile SML starting
      pre codegen starting
      pre codegen raised in 0.00 + 0.00 (0% GC)
   Compile SML raised in 0.00 + 0.00 (0% GC)
MLton raised in 0.00 + 0.00 (0% GC)
longid in var pat
gmake[2]: *** [mlton-compile] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd/mlton'
gmake[1]: *** [compiler] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

What is the most likely cause? I presume the most likely thing is a GC
bug, but I just wanted to be sure before attempting to proof-read the
code.

I can also see there is some GC-DEBUG flags. How are these
enabled/compiled into the runtime library.

--
j.