[MLton-devel] NetBSD porting and problems

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:10:16 -0400 (EDT)

> I am building a port of MLton for NetBSD this time (now I got stirred
> blood from the FreeBSD-5.1 patches).

Great.

> Unfortunately it goes like this:
>
> gmake dirs compiler world
> gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd'
> mkdir -p /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd/build/bin /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd/build/lib/self/include
> gmake -C /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd/mlton
> gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd/mlton'
> Compiling mlton (takes a while)
> mlton @MLton  gc-summary -- -host self -verbose 1 -output mlton-compile mlton.cm
> MLton MLTONVERSION (built Sat Aug  2 23:13:38 2003 on sarah)
> MLton starting
>    Compile SML starting
>       pre codegen starting
>       pre codegen raised in 0.00 + 0.00 (0% GC)
>    Compile SML raised in 0.00 + 0.00 (0% GC)
> MLton raised in 0.00 + 0.00 (0% GC)
> longid in var pat
> gmake[2]: *** [mlton-compile] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd/mlton'
> gmake[1]: *** [compiler] Error 2
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-netbsd'
> gmake: *** [all] Error 2
>
> What is the most likely cause? I presume the most likely thing is a GC
> bug, but I just wanted to be sure before attempting to proof-read the
> code.

It is almost certainly not a GC bug; a bug in the GC will usually manifest
as a core dump, rather than some error message.

Interestingly, it looks like it is probably a compiler bug; that message
is raised by the compiler when elaborating pattern matches.  Could you
send the diffs that you have made to the sources?  It's possible that it
is due to a syntax or type-error, but still the error message is
misleading in that case.

-Matthew

> I can also see there is some GC-DEBUG flags. How are these
> enabled/compiled into the runtime library.

You enable them in gc.c and remake the runtime system.  But, as I said,
it's probably not the source of the problem above.