[MLton-devel] mGTK for MLton status

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:05:26 -0400 (EDT)

> The bad new is that it works with my oldish MLton CVS check-out but
> not with the mlton in Debian sarge.  It seems that MLton barf on the
> output from pkg-config when I try to execute:
>
>    mlton -output helloworld-mlton -verbose 1 helloworld-mlton.cm \
>       mgtk-mlton.o `pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0`
>
> Any suggestions on how to change things?  (Sorry, if this is in the
> documentation somewhere.  To be honest I havn't had time to try hard
> to solve the problem).

It's a pretty simple problem: mlton is checking the syntax of the linker
options generated by pkg-config, and it doesn't accept the -Wl,OPTION
syntax.  That seems perfectly acceptable as an option to pass to gcc, so
we probably ought to change mlton to accept it.  In the short run, you can
replace
`pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0`
with
`pkg-config --libs-only-l gtk+-2.0`
which will generate only -llib options, losing the -Wl,--export-dynamic
option.  I'm no linker expert, but looking at the ld documentation, my
guess is that this is o.k.  I get the two executables that do the expected
things.  Pretty exciting!