[MLton-devel] mGTK for MLton status

Ken Friis Larsen ken@friislarsen.net
16 Aug 2003 15:36:38 +0100

Hi Stephen and Matthew,

Thanks for the quick replies.

Stephen Weeks <sweeks@sweeks.com> writes:
> No problem.  Good luck with finishing your thesis.

Thanks.

Matthew Fluet <fluet@cs.cornell.edu> writes:
> It's a pretty simple problem: mlton is checking the syntax of the linker
> options generated by pkg-config, and it doesn't accept the -Wl,OPTION
> syntax.  That seems perfectly acceptable as an option to pass to gcc, so
> we probably ought to change mlton to accept it.  In the short run, you can
> replace
> `pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0`
> with
> `pkg-config --libs-only-l gtk+-2.0`
> which will generate only -llib options, losing the -Wl,--export-dynamic
> option.

Thanks for reading the documentation for me.  This works great.

> I'm no linker expert, but looking at the ld documentation, my guess
> is that this is o.k.  I get the two executables that do the expected
> things.  Pretty exciting!

The only thing that -Wl,--export-dynamic should cause problems with is
dynamic loading, and there is still some way to go before mGTK has
packaged gmodules :-)

Thanks a lot.

I have updated the snapshot with this small change, just for the
record:
        http://www.itu.dk/people/kfl/tmp/mini-gtk.tgz

Cheers,

--Ken