[MLton-devel] (no subject)

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:45:56 -0700

> My point is that I don't understand wny there isn't a .cm file that I can
> mention which will give me all the MLton library stuff in both SML/NJ and
> in MLton.

There are two reasons, both due to the different ways .cm files are
handled in SML/NJ and MLton.  First, MLton assumes the files in a CM
file are ordered, while SML/NJ doesn't.  That means that the
alphabetical ordering in lib/mlton/basic/sources.cm won't work for
MLton.  We could reorder that sources.cm but I've never gotten around
to it since I always use cmcat.  Second, SML/NJ's CM eliminates unused
modules from the files in a CM Library file, while MLton uses all the
files.  This means that using MLton on an SML/NJ CM file may include
too much.

> Having to list all the individual files in the .cm file that
> MLton uses seems to be a pain.

For now, the only way to bridge the two worlds is to use cmcat to use
the SML/NJ cm file to produce a MLton cm file.  There is no need to
list the files MLton uses by hand.  In the future, we will have mlb
files to handle the MLton world the way we want.