[MLton-devel] MLton and profiling

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:57:42 -0800

> But it should in case I link in some C code which needs funny includes.
> I can, of course, compile the C code to a .o (or .a or .so) not using the
> MLton shell file, and then do the linking using it, but that seems a bit
> strange.

It seems cleaner to just use MLton for linking to me.  That way you
call gcc on your C code exactly the way you want to.

> Perhaps the way to do is to have some flag which is followed by arbitrary
> flags to pass on to gcc and ld.  Gcc already does this to pass flags to the
> loader.  You say
> 	-Wl,<option>
> where <option> is an arbitrary list of options, comma separated.  I don't
> like the syntax, but the idea seems sane.

Well, we have the expert -ccopt switch.  Unfortunately for the current
situation, its argument is only passed on to gcc when compiling
-native false.  I don't know if there is any good reason to prevent us
from also using it with -native true.