[MLton-devel] Re: [Twelf-developer] Twelf and MLton

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 13:23:31 -0800

> currently MLton (and anything compiled with MLton, including the Twelf RPM)
> doesn't work with RH 8.1 beta (Phoebe). I've tested with 8.0.92 (the first
> beta) and 8.0.93 (the second beta). I've also tested with the latest (as of
> today, 2/7/03) glibc from Rawhide (the problem seems glibc-related, and I
> suspect has something to do with the NPTL).
> Most likely it's RedHat's fault, but you may want to take action (by filing a
> bug report on RH's bugzilla, for example) before 8.1 goes gold.
>
> All executables created with MLton generate the following error message on
> launch:
> > unhandled exception: SysErr Invalid argument
> and then quit.

Thanks for the bug report.  I have found the problem and checked in a
fix, which will be in our next release.

The problem was due to the MLton Basis Library signal handler
initialization code, which checks all of the signals from 1 to NSIG to
see if the signal handler is set to default or ignore.  For a reason I
do not know, in 8.0.9{2,3} signal 32 is invalid, which causes the
exception you see above.  The fixed was to change MLton's
initialization code to gracefully handle invalid signals.