[MLton-devel] very unfortunate behavior when profiling allocations

Norman Ramsey nr@eecs.harvard.edu
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:11:42 -0400 (EDT)

Gentlemen,

I have a program that runs for a while and then blows the heap.
I want to find the bug.  Naturally it occurs to me to turn on the
allocation profiler.  But when the program runs out of memory,
there is no mlmon.out!  Most unfortunate...  Older versions of mlton
produced an mlmon.out when profiling even when memory was exhausted.

% mlton -basis 1997 -profile alloc -output sim-ta mltonsrc.sml
% rm mlmon.out
rm: cannot remove `mlmon.out': No such file or directory
% ./sim-ta @MLton fixed-heap 40m -- -search med.trk 1000 20 3 > /dev/null
Out of memory.  Insufficient space in nursery.
% mlprof ./sim-ta mlmon.out
error in mlmon.out: openIn mlmon.out: No such file or directory
%
% mlton
MLton 20030312 (built Wed Mar 12 22:20:13 2003 on debian30)

Norman