[MLton-devel] very unfortunate behavior when profiling allocations

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:39:10 -0700

Hi Norman.  Thanks for the bug report.

> But when the program runs out of memory, there is no mlmon.out!
> Most unfortunate...  Older versions of mlton produced an mlmon.out
> when profiling even when memory was exhausted.

Yeah, at some point we moved the code that writes the mlmon.out file
from the C atExit to the SML atExit, which of course means that it
doesn't get called when C decides to abort the program.  Given that
this causes the above problem, I think it's worth switching back.
I'll look into it to make sure it's as easy as I hope, and it should
be in the next release.

In the meantime, you should be able to get good enough data by
terminating your program just before it blows the heap.  Have a look
at /usr/share/doc/mlton/examples/timeout.sml to see how to limit your
program to running for a specified amount of time, and let us know if
you need any more advice to make that work.