[MLton-devel] CPU utilization

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:54:07 -0500

Yes, now that I think back on it, it wasn't an SMP machine we saw the problem
on.  Is it really true that you are only getting 1/2 of the  CPU,  or  is  it
that the time (either real or CPU) are being reported incorrectly?  I seem to
remember it was one of the latter.  Are you  running  an  SMP  kernel?   What
version of Red Hat, assuming it is Red Hat, are you running?

The  machine we saw the problem on here was decomissioned and we never saw it
on any other machine.  I don't remember all the details though.   Answer  the
above  questions  and I'll think where the problem could be.  Checking if the
real time is being reported correctly is easy (use a wall  clock).   For  the
CPU time, given that it is a factor of 2, you might be able to tell by seeing
the CPU time it takes to compute a known task on  a  different  machine.   An
alternative  to  that  might be to use the time stamp counter on the CPU, but
that might not be needed.