[MLton-devel] CPU utilization

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:03:58 -0700

> Yes, now that I think back on it, it wasn't an SMP machine we saw the problem
> on.  Is it really true that you are only getting 1/2 of the  CPU,  or  is  it
> that the time (either real or CPU) are being reported incorrectly?

Both real and CPU time are correct -- i.e. the process is only getting
1/2 of the CPU.  I checked with a stopwatch that the C grinder runs
for about a 65 seconds, which is what is reported as the real time.  I
also checked on another machine with the same processor speed that the
CPU time (and real time) is about 40 seconds.

> Are you running an SMP kernel?  What version of Red Hat, assuming it
> is Red Hat, are you running?

% uname -a
Linux eponym 2.4.18-10 #1 Wed Aug 7 11:39:21 EDT 2002 i686 unknown
% cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)