[MLton-devel] New release of MLton: call-graphs

Matthew Fluet MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:21:16 -0500 (EST)

Joe,

> There is still one thing that puzzles me about the call-graphs. In the
> attached call-graph, there are two functions (Binarymap peek and find)
> that aren't connected to the rest of the graph. Shouldn't there always
> be a connection from <main> to every function?

There should be, but the default call-stack graphs produced by mlprof will
remove nodes below the threshold, which can leave the graph disconnected.
If you want to see all nodes, you will need to use the option
-graph 'all'.  But the resulting graph may be too big.  You might try
-graph '(to (thresh x))' where x is the threshhold you used when producing
the graph.  That is the default graph option when -profile-stack false is
used, whereas the default graph option when -profile-stack true is used is
'(thresh x)'.  (I'm not sure of the reason for the different defaults;
Stephen set them and probably has an argument for them being that way.)
If that doesn't explain the disconnect, them I'm not sure why.

Glad to know that the profiling is useful for you.

-Matthew