[MLton-devel] compiling from within sml/nj

Matthew Fluet MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:50:05 -0500 (EST)

>   It looks like we're going to do PRE in mlton as our project.

Excellent!!

>   Is there an easy way to incrementally recompile and run mlton from the
> SML/NJ interactive loop? I can CM.make in mlton/mlton, but it looks like I
> need to export a heap image (or something like that) in order to run the
> compiler.

You do need to export a heap image.  The top-level mlton/Makefile includes
nj-mlton and nj-mlton-dual targets for exporting the heap image to
mlton/build/lib.  The mlton/build/bin/mlton invocation script will choose
the most recent of the nj heap or the mlton executable to execute.

I usually run an emacs with sml-mode for development (for jumping to
errors), then shell out to do a Make nj-mlton.  Exporting is usually
pretty quick.