[MLton-devel] Fwd: Mark Tuttle

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 2 May 2003 00:47:17 -0700

I packaged an experimental release of MLton, 20030501, available at

	http://www.mlton.org/experimental

The release includes the missing basis library functions that you
requested.  Unfortunately, it does not include support for 4G files,
but hopefully you can at least now test your code on smaller data
sets.

Handling files >2G will take some work.  It's easy enough to add the
O_LARGEFILE flag when calling open.  Unfortunately I was wrong to
think that that was enough.  The problem is that MLton's basis
library's internal file positions are 32 bit ints, and so you will get
integer overflow when you attempt to write a file that is >2G, just as
you will see integer overflow with SML/NJ when you attempt to write a
file >1G.

To solve the problem, we need to add Int64 to MLton, which as I said
is not just a few hours.  I'll look at it over the next couple of
weeks, and hope tp get something done by May 16, but no guarantees.

Good luck, and keep us up to date on your porting effort.