[MLton-devel] Fwd: Mark Tuttle

Mark R. Tuttle Mark.Tuttle@hp.com
Fri, 2 May 2003 09:55:59 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks, Stephen, for your quick and lively response.

   The mllex and mlyacc that come with MLton are taken from an old
   SML/NJ and so should take the same input language.

Is there a standard incantation to put in sources.cm to include the
library files for mlyacc?  Including

  /usr/share/mlton-20030312/lib/mlyacc/sources.cm

failed with the error message

  /usr/share/mlton-20030312/lib/mlton-stubs/sources.cm:
    bad CM file: undefined symbol: SMLNJ_VERSION

(Does mlton use a search path to find source files?  Is the user's
guide on the web site the primary reference for answering questions
like this, or is there another reference manual somewhere?)

   > I just need to write a 4G file, then write a few characters to
   > the head of the file.  Is there an easy solution more efficient
   > than a massive disk file copy?

I wasn't thinking when I wrote 4G.  We won't get anywhere close to
that.  Anyway, the right solution is to use the ffi when possible, and
to produce smaller files when not.

   I've not had to work around this particular SML/NJ extension
   before, so I don't have an easy answer off hand for what to do.
   What do you do in mosml?

Both smlnj and mosml support quasi-quoting.  We use it to implement
rewrite rules for optimization.

Thanks for the experimental package.  If we decide to go with mlton,
we will probably want to stick with the stock version.  Do you
anticipate turning on these TextIO, BinIO, and hash table features in
a future release?

Mark