[MLton-devel] Fwd: Mark Tuttle

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 2 May 2003 09:04:47 -0700

> Is there a standard incantation to put in sources.cm to include the
> library files for mlyacc?

The easiest solution is to explicitly list the needed files:

/usr/share/mlton-20030312/lib/mlyacc/base.sig
/usr/share/mlton-20030312/lib/mlyacc/lrtable.sml
/usr/share/mlton-20030312/lib/mlyacc/stream.sml
/usr/share/mlton-20030312/lib/mlyacc/parser2.sml
/usr/share/mlton-20030312/lib/mlyacc/join.sml

>   /usr/share/mlton-20030312/lib/mlton-stubs/sources.cm:
>     bad CM file: undefined symbol: SMLNJ_VERSION

This happens because MLton's cm-file preprocessor doesn't define any
symbols.  We don't encounter this problem because we always use cmcat,
a tool built with SML/NJ's CM to transform SML/NJ style CM files into
one suitable for MLton.  Have a look at the $(NAME)-stubs_cm target in
mlton/Makefile from the sources to see how, or just use the easy
solution above.

> Does mlton use a search path to find source files?

No.

> Is the user's guide on the web site the primary reference for
> answering questions like this, or is there another reference manual
> somewhere?

The User Guide is it.  The easy answer is the MLton's CM files are a
very limited subset of SML/NJ's CM files.  We only use them to list
all the files in a project in order, using the cmcat tool to produce
the list.

> Both smlnj and mosml support quasi-quoting.  We use it to implement
> rewrite rules for optimization.

I'll think about it.  But the best solution I can think of for now is
to use one of those other systems quasiquote to produce the strings
that you need and then create a Standard ML file with those strings.
I can see how this could be annoying though.

> Thanks for the experimental package.  If we decide to go with mlton,
> we will probably want to stick with the stock version.  Do you
> anticipate turning on these TextIO, BinIO, and hash table features in
> a future release?

The TextIO and BinIO stuff will go in the next release, slated for
June.  Unfortunately, making the libraries public is a lot further
out.