[MLton-devel] Fwd: Mark Tuttle

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Fri, 2 May 2003 17:20:44 -0400 (EDT)

> Why is just writing to a file keeping track of the seek position at all?

Mostly because of the following from the Basis Library:

    Unlike readers, which can expect their getPos functions to be called
frequently, writers need need not implement getPos in a super-efficient
manner: a system call for each getPos is acceptable. Furthermore, getPos
need not be supported for writers (it may raise an exception), whereas for
readers it must be implemented (even if inaccurately).

which admittedly on the face of it suggests _NOT_ tracking the seek
position, but since we needed to for the readers, then it was just easier
to reuse the position functions for both readers and writers.  We could
disable it.