[MLton-devel] Fwd: Mark Tuttle

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Fri, 2 May 2003 17:24:47 -0500

I'll try and grab the experimental release over the weekend.  I don't think
that I need to extract the underlying stream, but it could be needed because
of one character look ahead.  It really is a silly design that that requires
such overhead.  (I'm talking about the standard basis library, definitely not
MLton's implementation.)  One character look ahead (or even more) is often
needed.  The trick would be to require the person who looks ahead to keep
the characters instead of the basis library.  The point of this is that if
you only need a character it is very cheap.