[MLton-devel] MLton at PLDI?

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sat, 10 May 2003 19:51:22 -0700

> Are any MLton folk going to be at PLDI?

Hi Norman.  I am probably going to PLDI, but haven't signed up yet.
I'll let you know when I do.

> We have two projects we're thinking about for which we'd be
> interested in working with the MLton compiler.  One would be to hook
> MLton up with C--,k and another (separate track) would be to try to
> provide source-level debugging.  Either would require some
> cooperation from the MLton team.  If you all think you might be
> interested, maybe we can talk about details at PLDI.  Or
> alternatively, if one of you will be in or near Boston, let me know.

Both of those projects sound interesting and we'd be happy to help.

>From MLton's perspective, C-- would be especially nice if it could get
us to more platforms with better performance than our C backend.

As to source-level debugging, we've become more optimistic about its
prospects after the recent success with source-level profiling.  I
haven't thought about it a lot yet, but if I were going to start, I'd
look at Tolmach's stuff and into whatever OCaml does.  Do you have
other starting points you're thinking of?